... 1941 (50 years ago today), permission was given to establish a women's Army auxiliary in Canada. In fewer than 3 weeks -- and nearly a year before similar developments in the Canadian navy (prior post), the 1st office of the new group, the Canadian Women's Army Corps opened at the base in Esquimalt, British Columbia. During the course of World War II nearly 20,000 women would join the CWACs and serve at home and abroadin a host of positions -- as clerks, mechanics, and cooks, to name a few. (credit for 1944 photo of one "Private Lowry," a CWAC, at work in England) According to the website of the CFB Esquimalt Naval & Military Museum:
Despite their contribution and abilities, women in military roles were not generally accepted, and were paid only two-thirds of the basic pay allotted to men.
(Prior August 13 posts are here, here, here, and here.)